Sunday, May 23, 2010

Young Thai Coconuts...get your mind out of the gutter.


I was wondering why a lot of dirty old men were logging onto my food blog, and then it hit me...they love food too!
So, back to the fresh, YOUNG THAI COCONUTS....Coconut water is so hip and cool these days, and that's great because it's fantastically good for you, but drinking it straight from the coconut is like night and day to the boxed kind. It tastes like a freakin' sugar cookie melted in there! Delicious! Plus it makes you feel like you're in a romantic fantasy on a deserted island and some tan, beautiful man just climbed a palm tree to bring you a coconut as a sign of his undying love for you..... no? is it just me? so be it then.
Asian markets are the place to go because you'll pay half the price. If you're in LA, the 99 Ranch Markets are my stop. 9 coconuts for $8.99......While you're there, get the coconut opener (red thing next to coconut in photo). Your other option is to whack it open with a machete like knife, (which does make you look way cooler) but if you like all your fingers, trust me and get the opener. If you want to get at the coconut meat on the inside you are going to have to whack it open with a machete like knife. Frankly, having only 4 fingers is a great conversation starter.
I've been known to sit and drink 4 or 5 of these in a row. I've also been known to complain that I drank too many coconuts and now my stomach hurts.

Thanks Erin for turning me on to YOUNG THAI COCONUTS....(that sounds weird to say)

2 comments:

  1. OH! Is that what that is?! I knew it was different than a regular one, but didn't know what it was called.

    I bought one the other day and had a helluva time getting into it. I finally took our knife sharpener and jammed it into the top of it and it squirted coconut juice in my eyes and all over my face. I was alone for this humiliation, but am now making it public. The coconut meat inside is much softer and wetter than the regular old coconut. All yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you escaped unscathed...other than emotionally. Coconut opener is a must to get at the liquid. Still haven't figured out a safe way to access the meat inside...I usually recreate the scene in Zoolander when when they are trying to get the files out of the computer.

    ReplyDelete